Random Questions of an Aging Youth Pastor

Why do most people feel like you have to move up in ministry?



Why can’t I just be continually fascinated by my customer? Why can’t I continue to innovate new and create valuable ways to do ministry?


1. Longevity isn’t valued by Most. Most people have aspirations or just want to do something different after a while.  What if I just love and am continually challenged by what I do? I want to aspire to do the work the Father calls me to do. Why would my calling need to change to make others happy? 


2. They say, "You have more to offer. You need to do something else." I am continually growing and developing. I am constantly offering everything I have for my mission field. I want to ask them, "Why are adults more important than students in your eyes?"


3. They say, "You should be in a place where you can be fruitful." First of all, that's a huge assumption, that they know all the fruit in my ministry, but What if my ministry is more seed planting than fruit harvesting right now? I would love to be fruitful. Is this God’s sovereign timing for that? How does He define fruitfulness in my ministry?


4. There's a bell curve. The lead role on a team gets given to someone else. I am ok with a bell curve, but at the same time, I need to make sure I am stewarding my gifts and talents appropriately and in line with what God is calling me to.


5. They say, "You should be a lead pastor." & "Tell your husband to stop undervaluing himself." My internal reaction, "That says more about how much you undervalue students, than anything else. I value them even if you don’t. It’s not my fault that there are other church’s in crisis. If I am not called there, I shouldn’t go."


6. Psychological Barriers: Makes me wonder... Am I under valuing myself by working with students rather than adults? Am I afraid to jump to the next level? No. I am simply enjoying my ministry right now and I have vision for a future where I am.


7. I get told, "So and So is younger than you and has gone farther than you, because they fought for it." I am in the schools fighting and praying to reach the unreached every day (pre-covid). Yes, I have not sought position in the tribe, but rather possession of the land.


8. I am told, "Youth Ministry has a shelf life." - Interpretation. You can’t do this forever here.


9. Self doubt: Am I what students want or need? I see continual evidence of my relevance and effectiveness. Will they accept me? Of course! People respond to your evaluation of yourself. 


Gets me wondering... Could I get hired as a youth pastor still (at this age)? full time: Yes, In the right situation. Part-time or Volunteer: Um... YES. In any situation!


Comments

Popular Posts